Thursday, February 12, 2009

Every thing's great here in LaLa Land!

I just took a Percocet about an hour ago and so the draw to blog is pulling me! So I'll do a quick update and try to stay focused and on task: (no promises though)

I had my surgery yesterday and things seem to have gone really well, going into the operating room was so scary, there was this huge table full of torture devices (also known a surgical equipment) and so I just kept my eyes down and then when they had me on the bed I closed my eyes and I think I was out the moment they put the IV in my arm. When I woke up my first thought was "wow that guy's cute", which I think I just thought it but maybe not since he was super nice to me, even more than the female nurses were (and they were all great). It took a while to fully wake up, they gave me a cracker and some water to take a pain pill and I remember telling the lady that it was the best thing I ever tasted! When I was finally awake enough I was wheeled out to my parents (by the cute guy!) and then the nurse and anesthesiologist talked with us one more time then I was wheeled out to my dad's truck while I told the nurse the story of how I'd hurt my knee, I told anyone that would listen yesterday, I also wore my pink "Forks Outfitters" shirt and the shoes I was wearing the day of the accident as a little shout out to what'd happened. :) I know, I'm a nerd!

I am at my parents' place for the next week or so during the most difficult parts of my convalescence, I love being with my parents and they don't seem to mind taking care of me, even when I'm all doped up and super goofy. Speaking of Goofy, The Goofy Movie was on Disney or something last night we saw it was on about half way through and Adam changed to it for me. I was totally enjoying it but am a bit more spacey than normal because I forgot it was on during the commercials so when it came back on I got excited for it all over again!

Today I am very busy lying on my bed while my leg is in a machine that flexes it to get the new ACL (a cadaver Achilles tendon - I'm now part zombie!) stretched out. Today I am at 10% extension and 70% flexion, tomorrow I go down to 0% extension then I get to increase my flextion slowly until I'm at/close to full range of motion. While using the flexing machine I have this really cool pump that continuously brings ice water to a fancy covering on my leg, it feels really nice and soothing on my poor little confused leg. Most people know how stubborn and control freaky I am, and it has been so difficult to not fight against this machine but I'm getting much better, I even am able to ask people to get me things. It's taken 2 months (yesterday was day 60 since "the accident") but I have finally let go of some of my stubborn tendencies and will now let people help me without getting too frustrated with myself for not being able to do it all myself.

1 comment:

Jones said...

Sounds like youre gonna be okay, I hope so.