Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Emotional basketcase! Who, me?!

So I haven't been able to read any new books the last month or so, my mind just can't seem to concentrate on something new for that long. (Very frustrating!) But those that know me know that I don't like going long without a book in my world so I'm actually listening to one of my favorite books for the 3rd or 4th time right now. It is called "The Host" and it's written by Stephenie Meyer, the genius that brought us the Twilight Saga. I have been having some really bad insomnia problems lately so the book has been helping me a lot, especially at night to get me through the long hours when I wish I was asleep but can't be!

The biggest problem is that not only are my emotions a bit more heightened than normal (and that's saying something, eh?!) but I'm listening to this amazing book with characters that I love so much and are written so well that you truly feel like you know them. There are a lot of emotional situations in these books, and I find that I am crying through the whole thing like an even bigger sap than I normally am! As I look at and fall in love all over again with each character, I find that I can see similarities to people I know (Jamie and my nephew Tanner for example) and that just makes me love them that much more. There are two amazing men in these books that are written like true men out of Stephenie's mind, very lovable, very honorable, and VERY fictional!

I have mentioned before that I think that Stephenie and I would be the best of friends if only she'd lift the restraining order (hopefully everyone knows I'm kidding here!) but one thing that does annoy me about her is how she writes the men in her books, they truly do ruin all other men in the world! There is no man like Jacob Black (Twilight) to be found anywhere (even without the whole "Werewolf" thing), and The Host's Ian and Jared are the same (Ian, *sigh*). They are great men and very real in many ways, but at the same time they are the type of romantic that women wish existed in men these days! I haven't seen anything like them anywhere, the passion and understanding and love that they are capable of is very much a caricature of what women wish men were capable of.

Oh well, I'll never stop reading her books and holding onto the conviction that my own special version of Jacob or Ian is out there somewhere, knowing if I ever do meet him, his lack of being like my dream men will probably be what makes him so great!

There! I tried to leave it on not such a negative note! Love to all! And please know that I'm not always as cynical as I might sound here!

1 comment:

Julie Siegel said...

Hmmm...I think I need to add The Host onto to read list again. You are brilliant. Duh.