Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why I'll never go skiing

So, the most common reaction that I get from strangers (and sometimes patients) when they see my crutches and my leg that I'm obviously not using is: "Skiing." No question mark, just a statement of fact that they are verifying with me. This always brings two questions to mind;
  1. Do I really look like the sporty skiing type?!
  2. Why would anyone enjoy a sport that has so many knee/leg injuries involved that that is the understood explanation for any injuries during the winter!

It is so commonplace that everyone knows at least a few people that have broken their leg/knee/other important part of their body after attaching one or two strips of wood to their feet and then riding down a steep, icy hill on them. How could you get injured doing that?!

I know that people love skiing but it is obviously not for me. Between my lack of coordination, lack of sportiness, and complete hatred of moving so quickly that you are feeling out of control, I have never been tempted to try this sport and the last month or so has made me very glad of that choice!

I wish good luck and safe skiing/snowboarding to all of my daredevil friends out there and I hope you understand why I will never be joining you! :)

No comments: